Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Bravery

Yesterday my mom text my sister and me a picture.
Of a pile of hair.
Her hair.
After her morning shower.
It was time.
She told Brittany today would be the day.
I knew I wanted to be there,
but with a sick kid home from school, I wasn't sure I would be able to.
Luckily, I have an amazing mother in law who offered to watch him so I could go.
We loaded up and headed East.

When I got there and saw her, 
hair noticeably thinner,
patches of scalp now showing,
my heart ached.
She is sick and this was going to be our violent shove into reality.

Family came to support.
Her mother,
nieces,
daughters,
and husband. 
We stood around her as she sat down and covered her face with a towel.
My sister put the razor to her head a few times,
then backed away,
tears running down her cheeks.
"It's okay" my mom said noticing her hesitation.
And so she began. 
Little by little,
hair fell to the floor.
My mother cried into the towel.
Brittany cried as she dropped hair into a pile on the floor.
And I cried behind the lens of my camera.
Apart from sniffles and the sound of the razor, the room was quiet.
And reverent.

And then it was done.
She uncovered her face and smiled.
Sympathetically as if to say she was sorry.
She was still beautiful.
We hugged.
We cried.
We smiled.
And then we tied a scarf on her head and made bread.























4 comments:

  1. I cry as I read this and I cry as I write this....but there are some positives, right? No more snarls to comb through. No more hair in your food. No more getting whiplashed by your hair when you have the car windows down. No more coloring of your hair. No more giant sized Costco shampoo purchases. No more time wasted on decisions of how to wear your hair to church on Sunday. No more paying a lot of money at the beauty parlor for just a trim. No bed head. No worrying about greying roots.

    Your bravery is amazing. You have a wonderful supporting family. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing. I found this on Pinterest a while back and reading Stacey's blog reminded me of it. This is who you are....
    She was beautiful, but not like those girls in the magazines. She was beautiful, for the way she thought. She was beautiful, for the sparkle in her eyes when she talked about something she loved. She was beautiful, for her ability to make other people smile, even if she was sad. No, she wasn't beautiful for something as temporary as her looks. She was beautiful, deep down to her soul. F.Scott Fitzgerald

    ReplyDelete